I bet if you threw a paper airplane in a crowded room it would hit someone who uses at least two types of social media.
Yep, that’s right: Your resume and cover letter aren’t enough in today’s business world.
- If you want to land a job you should consider having a presence on social media.
- If you have anything on your social network that your mother wouldn’t approve of, assume your future boss won’t either.
- Having a social media presence may not apply to all jobs; however, no matter what industry you plan to go into in the future, check your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other accounts.
- If you don’t have a LinkedIn account, get one! It is by far one of the best tools for networking and connecting with industries. It gets your resume out there and visible to those you wish to work for down the line.
- Just because you have super-locked-down privacy settings on your accounts doesn’t mean businesses can’t hack into them to get a sense of who you are.
- Remember to keep your social networks appropriate — don’t bash others, don’t use foul language — yet keep your personality visible. Companies like those who stand out.