Procrastination… you know how it goes. You tell yourself Friday night that you are going to be super productive over the weekend because the week was too busy to get anything done. Then when you finally sit down to work you find yourself Facebook stalking, playing Candy Crush on your phone or starting an episode of Law and Order: SVU. When you finally realize several hours have flown by, you might feel better if you had at least got something done, right?
Procrastination is inevitable – so why not put it to better use? Here are my top five tips on how to procrastinate productively.
1. Get organized. Take this time to make a list of everything you have to do, saving the most important for last of course. After finalizing your to-do list, you won’t have to worry later that you have forgotten something and it will feel gratifying when you eventually get to crossing things off the list.
2. Go to the gym. If you have time to spend two hours on Facebook, you have time to fit in a work out. Besides, if you’re not going to get your class work done, you might as well work on your fitness. Those who are active and exercise are much more productive because being active reduces your level of stress.
3. Clean Up. Let’s just say, without procrastination my apartment would be a cluttered unorganized mess. There is always laundry to do, dishes to be washed, rooms to be cleaned and stuff to be organized and procrastinating your class work is the perfect time accomplish those tasks. A clean and organized space will make it easier for you to concentrate and be more productive.
4. Take a nap. Taking a 20 minute power nap is proven to boost productivity, so why not take a quick snoozer since you aren’t getting anything else done? But don’t forget to set an alarm because you wouldn’t want to sleep through the whole day!
5. Eat Something. You know you would use hunger as an excuse eventually, so you might as well get or make something to eat. Besides, in order to be productive you need to fuel your body.
As you can see, putting one thing off can result in the completion of so many other tasks! Now that you have accomplished so many things, you can finally sit down and finish your school work, because honestly, there is nothing else to do.