Music has always been one of my passions. Listening to music in my room, singing along in the car and attending concerts will always be my favorites.
Attending a music festival, however, could NEVER compete with simply listening to a song on the radio.
I have attended my fair share of concerts in the past, including artists: John Mayer, OneRepublic, Coldplay, Rihanna, U2…well, you get the picture- I love music!
Last weekend I got the opportunity to attend an electric dance music festival, Beyond Wonderland, in the Bay Area. Yes, it was beyond wonderful.
For those unfamiliar with electronic music, I got to see some of the big names in the EDM world. It is a two-day event. You arrive early in the day and go from stage to stage listening to music until just a little before midnight. But this year wasn’t my first EDM- rodeo, as I also attended Beyond Wonderland 2013.
Last year I saw Avicii, Calvin Harris and David Guetta. I’m forever convinced that David Guetta pointed and winked at me during his show.
Anyway, I came up with a list of things that every person needs to do before attending an EDM festival. And if you’re a college student on a budget, have no worries because there’s something on the list for you too.
- Read the rules of the venue – Prior to the event, a list will be published of items that are and aren’t allowed. Make sure you read them. Be surprised at what you’re allowed to bring!
- Bring a water bottle – After reading the rules you will find out that you ARE allowed to bring your own water bottle. Bring it- you will not regret it!
- Hydrate – A lot of venues that hold a two-day events will have water bottle filling stations. Fill up and drink water, lots of it!
- Bring earplugs – Even though taking in the music is possibly the best thing in the world, standing close to the speakers can make your ears hurt. Earplugs are inexpensive and you’ll be happy you wore them the next day!
- Bring money… but not too much – Bring enough money so you can buy a snack if you need it. But be aware that it’s easy to lose!
- Get crafty – The event encourages people to dress in creative and fun ways! Go on Pinterest and invent a cute outfit. You’ll be happy you did.
- Take as many pictures as possible – With an experience this cool, you will want to look back on as many pictures as you can. Take the time to ask a stranger to take a picture of you and your friends. You may even make a friend!
- Be safe – Since there are so many attendees, it is important to have a meeting spot with your friends in case someone gets lost.
- Plan a safe ride home– Like I said before, bringing money is important. Cabs are circling the venue ready to pick people up. They can be expensive!
- Have a blast– Although experiences like these can take careful planning, enjoy every second of it. There will be few events as memorable as Beyond Wonderland!