After a five-year stint as a vegetarian, I now can’t go more than a few weeks without a burger. There’s something so satisfying about chomping into a truly great hamburger.
If you’re anything like me, you’re constantly searching for the perfect burger. Well, the wait is over! Here is my breakdown of the top five burgers in Chico.
1. Nobby’s, Nobby Burger: The Nobby Burger is no doubt one of the best burgers I have ever had. Come hungry, because after this monstrous 1/3 pound burger you will be stuffed! Not only does Nobby’s cook your patty to order, but they are most known for their “cheese skirt.” Yes, you read that right. Nobby’s grills the burger with fried cheese, giving it this delicious, crunchy, bubbly effect. YUM. Be warned, Nobby’s is cash only so come prepared! $
2. Sierra Nevada Brewery Co., Taproom Burger: The Taproom Burger is a fan favorite. A close second to the Nobby’s Burger, Sierra Nevada’s Taproom Burger is cooked to order, accompanied with melted cheese and local veggies, then completed with Sierra Nevada sauce, aka heaven. Their sauce is definitely the icing on the cake, or the sauce on the burger, I suppose. Sierra Nevada isn’t exactly in the college student budget, so keep in mind that you will be dropping double digits on a meal here. $$
3. Madison Bear Garden, Jiffy Burger: A Chico classic most beloved by college students, The Bear is a place to grab a meal with friends after work or between classes. The Jiffy Burger is a patty topped with creamy peanut butter, thick cut bacon and melted cheese. Trying this burger for the first time takes bravery, but it’s sure to become your new usual. $
4. Burgers and Brew, Spicy Guacamole Cheeseburger: This burger is large and in charge! A half-pound patty is cooked to order, smothered in homemade spicy guacamole, jalapeno mayo and pepper jack cheese. Served with a large portion of fries or a mixed greens salad, this burger makes a great weekend meal. For a vegetarian option, I suggest the portobello burger. $$
5. The Graduate Family Restaurant and Sports Bar, Uncle Melty: The Graduate rounds out my top five, but definitely does not disappoint. This burger is a half-pound patty, cooked medium, topped with grilled onions and American cheese, served on butter-grilled sourdough bread. The Grad is a great atmosphere to catch a game with friends or play one of their many classic arcade games. $